Monday, February 11, 2008

Family stories

Last night we watched Little Miss Sunshine for the second time, and it reminded me of Juno. I'm glad that Hollywood is prepared to still make these quirky, fun films that tell the stories of families and how they cope under stress.
Little Miss Sunshine has many stand out performances that make it a joy to watch, while still being able to make you pause and reflect. A film about what it means to be a family.
Juno also has some amazing performances, and important things to say about what it means to be a parent, and what growing up involves. The unconditional love that parents need to give their children, and the fact that children can never re-pay their parents. (And nor should they try.)
I love blockbuster films, but every now and then I like to lose myself in the quirky imaginings of someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment