Thursday, May 24, 2007

De Ja Vu

I have been reading The First Crusade by Thomas Asbridge and I have been struck by how similar different historical events can be. The conflict between 'the West' and 'Islam' is old and this book highlights the fact that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Is there really much difference between the Pope in the 12th Century calling for the return of the Holy Lands to Christianity, and the current political machinations involving the USA and militant Islam? Asbridge is an engaging writer, and I found myself flying through this book as it builds to its climax. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was still caught up in the drama of the story and Asbridge's narrative. A book to make you think, as well as enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment