Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Second time around

A little while ago I talked about re-reading books I like and this is one of them that I have been reading lately. Dan Simmons Hyperion series has been the focus of my re-reading and I must admit that each time I read it I get something new from it.
Simmons wears literary influences on his sleeve with this novel, named after an unfinished Keats poem, and structured like The Canterbury Tales, Simmons sets out to tell an amazing story.

The book revolves around the planet Hyperion and a group of pilgrims who are summoned to the planet because the Shrike is waking up from the Tombs of Time.

The pilgrims decide to tell their stories during the journey to the Tombs and the novel is set out in sections as each pilgrim tells their tale and why they are connected to the Shrike.

This is a fantastic book and is full of ideas and makes the reader think long after they have finished reading it.

This is well worth reading and look for the rest of the series to experience the full scope of this story. The other books are Fall of Hyperion, Endymion, and Rise of Endymion.