Friday, July 6, 2007

Little Death


It's funny the things you read by accident. I saw a graphic novel at work that I decided to borrow and read. I had never heard of it before but I was willing to give it a try. And I was pleasantly surprised when I found myself enjoying it immensely.
The graphic novel in question is Death Jr by Gary Whitta and it is inventive and funny. We follow the main character Death Jr, son of the Grim Reaper or DJ to his friends, and the kids he meets on his first day of school. DJ soon finds himself with the other 'freaks' and they become friends. We meet Pandora an obsessive compulsive girl who just has to open things, and of course it always goes badly for her, Stigmartha who bleeds from her hands when she gets nervous, Smith and Weston co-joined twins, one thinks up ideas and the other thinks up ways to put them into action, and the Seep a armless, legless, lipless, boy floating in a jar on wheels.
This is a great read and heaps of fun, just thinking about the characters makes me chuckle at the references from pop culture that embody them. And they have great potential for story lines. I look forward to reading more in this series, and recommend others try it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment