Friday, October 12, 2007

Comics, comics and more comics

Douglas Wolk obviously loves comics. He writes about them for various publications in the United States and has recently released a book called Reading Comics. How graphic novels work and what they mean. I have only just finished this book and have rushed to post this review. That's an example of how much I loved this book.
Wolk discusses some critical theory about how comics work, how they are read, different techniques, and then reviews some of his favourite comics. He makes no bones about the fact that this is a personal study, and the choices reflect what he looks for in comics.

I wouldn't agree with every choice, or statement Wolk makes but his passion makes this a fun read.

I too share his passion and it is good to see that others feel the same way about comics that I do.

3 comments:

  1. How do you get to read so much!? You must be one of those mythical librarians who spends all day reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, do you own this (in which case I want to borrow it) or did you borrow it (in which case, how do I read it given that I'm pretty sure the Romsey Library doesn't carry it)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't own it but maybe Romsey library could get it for you on an inter-library loan?

    ReplyDelete